Thursday, July 3, 2008

Random Rambling

I'm pretty sure I take way too many pictures everyday but when life gets crazy, like it often does, I feel like life hasn't passed me by when I can look at my pictures and see that I actually did something meaningful with my time and energy. I can see that my kids aren't quite as deprived as I sometimes think they are and that I laugh more than I cry. My pictures give me proof that even when things are hard, I'm finding little (and big) pieces of joy in the chaos.



The latest heat wave has made our unconditioned house a sweltering 94 degrees! I was tempted to join Gloria in her garbage can filled with clear, cool water. (Just for the record, it was a brand new can!)


She also managed to cool off at Roaring Springs with her sweet Cherry Festival friend! I was a little nervous about leaving her there unsupervised but I figured if she can hang out with this responsible 12 year old girl for two weeks at two festivals, she can probably handle 5 hours at a water park. It stressed me out a little when a big storm came in and the traffic was so bad I couldn't get to her!! Everything turned out fine, though, and she had a fun day. . .


These pictures have nothing to do with cooling off- these are plastic spoons in her eyes. . . If you look carefully, she looks a little like Yoda from the poster behind her. . .

Hmmmm. . .


This van belongs to my new best friend. We now have an air conditioned home for the first time in 3 years!!


Catch-up lunch with Vic!! I haven't had much of a chance to talk to Vic since Alysha's twins were born last month so it was great catching up with her life. The twins are still in the hospital but it sounds like they are doing great and the adoptive parents are doting on them.



Zach doesn't believe me when I tell him he's too old for the play place. His response: "Who will scare the kids if I'm not there???????"


I love this next picture of Gloria. It doesn't seem to matter how many other toys she has, she always comes back to her baby dolls. She has two very special babies that she's had for years and years and she nurtures them like she gave them life. . .


July is starting to look like it might be even crazier than June!! Although the stage trailer seems huge to me, it isn't big enough for a couple of rentals that we have coming up so the guys built two of the additions that we'll need for July 5th. Rob painted them very, very late one night (or very, very early one morning. . . )


Zach has been in dire need of a haircut for a couple of months so I finally made him an appointment. Mechelle has been cutting our family's hair since just before Gloria was born and she recently invested in a brand new, fancy, schmancy salon. I've been putting off making any of us an appointment because her "spa" is a little intimidating! Mechelle, however, is very down-to-earth and authentic and very, very good at what she does so I finally made appointments for me and Zach.

Mechelle endearingly refers to us as The Hair Family. It's easy to see why. . .


We decided to keep Zach's hair on the long side and just give it a trim. This picture doesn't do it justice but it looks pretty good. There's a funny story about this photo, but you probably had to be there. We went to Sharis after Nampa Nights on Thursday and we have a tendency to be kind of silly when we go out after shows. Rob arrived before us and ordered all-you-can-eat fish and shrimp. We had a very on-the-ball waiter so when Rob requested a lot more shrimp, the attentive young man brought him 3 plates of fish and shrimp including several more ramekins of tartar and cocktail sauce. The kids and I arrived just as these were being served so it looked like Rob was eating for four. . . Then Zach ordered the same thing and every time the waiter would refill the shrimp, he would also bring several plates of fish and tartar sauce and cocktail sauce! Rob told him early on that we wouldn't need any more fish or sauce, but apparently there are rules at these places and you have to have everything or nothing. Every time he came by, we got sillier and sillier . . . We didn't want to waste anything so we asked for boxes and just started dumping the fish into those. Rob and Zach can eat A LOT of shrimp, so you can imagine the pile we had by the time we were finished!!

I guess maybe you had to be there. . .

No comments: