Monday, July 7, 2008

Camp, Day 2

Routine is crucial to a counselor at camp because it keeps the kids busy and if something isn't going so well, there is always an end in sight. The schedule was the same everyday:

7:45 counselor meeting
8:15 breakfast
8:45 chapel
9:45 block 1 (challenge, boating, hike, slip n slide)
12:30 lunch
1:15 swimming
2:15 snack shack
2:30 free time
3:45 block 2 (crafts, etc)
4:45 block 3 (crafts, etc)
6:00 dinner
6:30 chapel
7:45 recreation
9:00 evening snack
9:15 cabin time
10:00 lights out

In order to have a little time to myself before the day started, I woke up every morning at 6 a.m. In my "normal" life, this is practically the middle of the night, but it helped me stay sane. I also have very little routine in my "normal" life and I almost never get to have a plan, so I enjoyed having a schedule to live by for a few days out of my crazy life.

I took close to 600 pictures during the week and, obviously, I can't post them all, but here are some of my favorites:

Every day in chapel we played "Heads or Tails". The object of the game was to be the last one standing after everyone else was eliminated. Jim, the camp speaker, would flip a coin and everyone would either put their hands on their heads for "heads" or on their rears for "tails". So, for example, if your hands were on your rear and the coin came up on heads, you were eliminated. It was an easy game and the kids all looked forward to it each day.



Gloria was the cabin hairdresser for all the girls:



Monday's block 1 was The Challenge up in the woods. I didn't want to leave out any pictures so I put them all in a slide show. This was one of my favorite activities for the week:

The girls in my cabin did a great job of mingling with the girls in other cabins and ended up making lots of new friends.

We hiked back up into the woods for our free time and took this picture after we all joined hands and "hugged" the Vanilla Tree:

The girls also had a chance to just play on the challenge course without actually being challenged:



Elsie was in charge of the camera for awhile and took some really nice pictures:


These are the rules that the girls came up with and posted on the door of our room:

Some rare shots of the Junior Highers:



More "Heads or Tails":


We went on a scavenger hunt for recreation with a list that included everything from a paper clip to a live frog:

On two of the nights, we enjoyed a campfire:



My girls couldn't resist helping with the silly songs:





Elsie and Megan:

Getting ready for bed:

This is the sign we made in crafts. The girls decided to call our group "The Nicknamers" and gave each of us a nickname.

We were all ready to fall into bed at the end of the first full day. . .

No comments: