Sunday, July 6, 2008

Camp Day 1

After our busy 4th of July week and a late, late tear down on Saturday night, we headed up to McCall for camp early Sunday morning. I volunteered to be a counselor at Kid's Camp a few months ago with a little prodding from Gloria since this will be her first year to go as a camper instead of just my helper. I regretted my decision more than once in the weeks leading up to camp . . . My own memories of camp always included a young, cool counselor who really knew how to have fun. . . I don't remember ever having some one's mom. . . I felt a little better when I met the other counselors and realized they were all moms, too, and we were each getting a junior counselor to help us. I've always loved camp and it was a huge part of my childhood, so I decided to make the best of it. The last several years I've tagged along as Zach has gone to camp but I've been in positions like "craft lady" or "music helper" or, like last year, "all-around-gopher". It was a LOT different being a counselor. In a good way.


The first day of camp is all about getting settled in and meeting everyone. Junior High camp shares the week with Kid's Camp, so registration can be tricky as all the campers excitedly arrive.

From my point of view, it all went pretty smoothly.



I ended up with five 4th and 5th grade girls and I have known 4 of them most of their lives.
Megan:

Karla:

Jordan:
Elsie:
And Gloria:
This is my young, cool junior counselor, Shelby. I couldn't have survived the week without her!:
The kids had quite a bit of free time before dinner, so Gloria made good use of it by playing a few intense games of shuffle ball. She beats me at this every time but this time she had a formidable opponent. . .
. . . and he was good, too:
I can't remember who won, but it may have been the most serious game of shuffle ball all week. . .

This is my group at dinner:

I tried to take a few pictures of Zach and his friends, who were all with the jr high group, but opportunities were few and far between. . .

After dinner was chapel with lots of fun action songs. Ellen always does a great job of involving everyone:

My girls always enjoyed this part although Jordon often told me it was too loud and gave her a headache. . .

After chapel each evening, we all went out to the field for recreation.

A little more free time before settling in for the night gave us a chance to hit the zip line. I love this picture of Gloria and Megan. They look so much older. . . and so serious. . .

Wheee. . .

By the end of the first day, I felt a little guilty for having such an easy group of girls. . .

. . . to be continued. . .

No comments: