Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mechelle...

I think I've told this story before but its worth repeating. When Zach was 3 or 4, my friend, Sam, told me about the lady she had found to cut her hair. She worked at a little salon on the corner of Linder and Pine, just a few blocks from our house so I decided to give her a try. Not only was she a very talented stylist but we also grew up in the same home town of Mtn. Home. We had tons of things in common and I knew that I had found a new stylist AND a new friend.

Over the last 16 years or so, she is the only person who has cut my hair with one exception, one time but that's a story for another day. She started cutting Zach's hair when he was a preschooler and she started cutting Gloria's hair as soon as she had hair to cut. Mechelle knows hair and she knows us. In all of those years, I can honestly say I've never had a bad haircut.

She eventually moved into another salon in downtown Meridian and, of course, we followed. My sister and her family even started seeing Mechelle on a regular basis. About three years ago, Mechelle opened her very own, very fancy salon: Rain Salon and Spa. It's the kind of place that I would probably never go to if it weren't for Mechelle. Her business is very successful and she's doing really well but she's still one of the most down to earth and genuine people I know.

Yesterday the kids had back-to-back appointments so I dropped Gloria off and went to pick up Zach. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was a little late getting back for Zach's appointment. When we walked in, Mechelle was passing the time waiting for us by giving Gloria a make over. It was very sweet.

I've told Mechelle that if she ever stops cutting hair I will stand on her home doorstep until she agrees to cut my hair! She's told me not to worry because she'll never give it up...



No comments: