Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day

I've always loved Christmas morning. I remember, as a child, waking my parents up several times in the night only to be told it was too early to open presents. Even as an adult, I'm the first one up, making coffee, lighting candles and turning on Christmas music. The kids sleep in the living room on Christmas Eve so that they can see the gifts and the tree as soon as they wake up so I tip toe around them, enjoying the peace and quiet before the gift opening begins. Unlike me, Zach would just rather sleep in. Even when he was little, he would sit up, look at the tree and lay back down.

Gloria, with a little help from Rob and fresh snow, drug him out of bed so the present opening could begin.

I'd say, in this instance anyway, she is more like me!!

Each year we wrap up raw hide bones for the dogs to open. Emma gets very excited. . .

Snowfie received a present, too, but she wasn't especially impressed. . .

Once Zach is awake and ready to open his gifts, he takes his time and looks everything over as he opens them. If assembly is required, it takes him even longer. . .


Gloria, on the other hand, rips through the paper barely stopping to pose for pictures. . .


Once she gets to her main, absolutely must-have, most wanted gift, everything else is abandoned. This year this special gift was a Baby Alive:


This is nothing like the Baby Alive I had when I was her age:




Although Rob and I had agreed not to exchange gifts with each other this year, I know how much he likes to shop so I ended up buying him something at the last minute . . .


A gift subscription to Dirt Wheels Magazine!!


Long before we had kids we used to go to weekly moto cross races just for fun. Rob had a custom built 4-wheeler that was very fast and he would pour over Dirt Wheels magazines until they practically fell apart. I couldn't find a picture of the bike, but here is a picture from about 20 years ago with the ATV gloves I gave him that Christmas. (Wow, that makes me feel old!!)

There comes a time when you have to grow up and start acting responsible so he sold the 4-wheeler to buy a car, the moto cross races became a thing of the past and the magazines ended up in a box in the attic. This gift was a little ray of hope that maybe someday in the near future, he can actually have another 4-wheeler of his own!


The pups continued to enjoy Christmas. . .



Gloria loved on her new baby. . .




And Rob was oblivious to everything around him. . . I love when I find the perfect gift!


Zach continued to savor every little thing he opened but everything changed when he opened this. . .












My parents showed up about this time and helped Zach enjoy his gift. . .





There's nothing like a good old fashioned Christmas Day Nerf gun battle!!









Even my mom got in on the act but needed a little help with the amunition:





Zach eventually remembered he still had one big gift under the tree. This is a Lego AT-AT that he has been requesting for several years. I usually procrastinate just long enough that I'm unable to find one just before Christmas. This year, I planned ahead and ordered one from the catalog! I think he was surprised!


We eventually put away the toys and went to my in-laws to enjoy more Christmas fun with family. I love this picture of Zach and McKenna:

She was really excited about her new guitar (or, 'tar, as she calls it):

We all sat in a circle and took turns opening presents:


Rob had fun shopping for and wrapping up Colleen's tools for her toolbox:











Tony opened a fancy new pair of boxers. . .


. . . and proceeded to model them for us. . .


The funniest part is the look on Kelsey's face!!:


When Matt opened his new boxers, we all knew what would happen next. . .


Tony is such a bad influence on Matt. . . :)


McKenna played with her new baby doll. . .


. . . Cody played McKenna's new guitar. . .


. . . Rob had to tune McKenna's new guitar. . .



. . . and McKenna wasn't sure she wanted Uncle Rob messing around with her new guitar:


It took us well over an hour to open all of our gifts. . .









































This is the fabulous coat that I picked out a month ago and was supposed to forget about but thought about everyday in anticipation instead!:



Zach got another Lego and immediately started to assemble it. . .





After the gifts were opened, the wrapping paper mess cleaned up and a delicious lunch was eaten, we played games and had fun for the rest of the afternoon/evening:











I'm very thankful for this family I married into. . .


Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: