Saturday, December 20, 2008

Caroling

I was feeling a little bit scrooge-ish and out of sorts on Wednesday and the last thing I wanted to do was to go out in the freezing cold and stand on people's doorsteps and sing Christmas carols. I was in charge of the singing part, however, so I didn't have much of a choice. . .

We all gathered at the church for a quick supper of corn dogs and veggies. . .


Everyone else seemed to have the Christmas spirit. . .

We started out at a care facility since it really was very, very cold out. . .

I couldn't help but catch a little Christmas cheer to see the looks on some of the faces, knowing that we were bringing a little bit of light and joy into what might be an otherwise dreary existence. . .


Next, we went to the home of an older couple from church and spread a little more joy around. I didn't mind the cold so much and even started to catch a little bit of the Christmas spirit. . .




By the time we arrived at Helen's house, most of my angst from the day had disappeared and I actually started to enjoy myself. Watching Helen's expression change from worry to wonder gave me a glimpse of all that I have to be thankful for this Christmas. . .


Back at the church, we warmed up with cider and gooey s'mores. The kids topped off the evening by making a simple craft to give as a gift and I went and joined the youth Christmas party.
Turns out caroling was just what I needed to lighten my mood and remind me what I love about Christmas . . .

No comments: