Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Well, I Did It. And It Was Good. . .

Before reading any further, you really must click on this link to see just how far I've come since Gloria's very first horse lesson last October.


I think it's safe to say I've made some progress! I was still a little nervous, however, as we drove out to the farm today for my very first horse lesson. Diamond is much, much bigger than the ponies I'm used to taking care of so I was a little surprised when Kim instructed me to grab his halter and bring him into the barn. By myself. It actually wasn't a big deal at all! I brought him in, brushed and groomed him and put on his saddle. Kim came into the barn when it was time to put on the bridle (my least favorite part) but I still did most of it on my own. I led him out to the arena and adjusted the stirrups. Gloria took pictures for me so I could have proof!!





Kim is a very good instructor and she led me through the necessary steps very patiently. I have already learned a ton from going to all of Gloria's lessons and helping out in the arena as much as I can but it's a totally different ballgame when you're up on the horse. There is so much to think about!



I'm sure it was to my advantage to have so much information beforehand and Kim was very encouraging. . .

I even trotted several times!! It was a little painful but I think with a little practice it would be a lot of fun!!


After the lesson I led Diamond back to the stall and removed the bridle and saddle. Gloria gave me a lesson in cleaning the bridle and hanging it up correctly before we left the barn. It was an amazing experience and, for the first time in my life, I'd really like to own a horse. Maybe I'll have to sell my 4-wheeler. . .

No comments: