Friday, November 20, 2009

I'm Actually Gonna Ride A Real Horse!!

I know I've gone on ad nauseum about horses lately but it's become a pretty important part of my life. I mean, of Gloria's life. It's just that it's so odd that I not only enjoy hanging out on the farm with these huge, beautiful animals but that I actually kinda, sorta know what I'm doing. As long as I'm working with ponies like Cookie and as long as Kim is nearby in case a pony gets away from me, I do just fine. My confidence has been pretty high lately now that I'm bringing in and saddling most of the ponies on lesson days so I bit the bullet and asked Kim about their traditional Thanksgiving Trail Ride. I tentatively asked if it would possibly be something I could ride in with Gloria. I need to acknowledge, before I go on, that Kim has been great for my confidence because she has given me responsibilities that I haven't always thought I was ready for and then has helped me to meet her expectations, which I think is the mark of a great teacher. Anyway, she didn't seem surprised at all that I asked about the ride and she even indicated that she was hoping Gloria and I would be a part of the ride. Her only requirement is that anyone who rides needs to have a lesson first. I've been considering taking regular lessons but can't figure out how to fit one more thing into my schedule so I jumped at the chance to have a single lesson on Tuesday and then a Friday morning trail ride with my daughter. I thought about it all during Gloria's lesson. How exciting! Me, on a real horse!


How scary. . . Me, on a real horse.


This is Diamond. See the pretty little diamond shape on her forehead? I'm pretty sure that's where she gets her name. I think she's a her. I didn't look very closely. This is the horse Kim thinks I might ride for my lesson on Tuesday and for the trail ride on Friday:

Diamond is NOT a pony. She's about twice the size of Cookie. Her pen is two gates down from Cookie's and she always walks to her gate to greet me when I go by so I've already gotten to know her a little bit. I feel pretty safe when she's on one side of the gate and I'm on the other. Kim says she is gentle and kind and that she and I will make a good pair. . .

So, I'm actually going to do it. I'm going to ride a horse. On a trail. I haven't been on a horse in about 25 years.

I guess it's about time. . .

No comments: