Monday, November 9, 2009

They Might Be Giants. . . My Kind Of Show. . .

We've been able to work with some pretty well-known groups during the last several years but, in most cases, they aren't exactly well-known to me. Many of them have won Grammy's and other awards and most of them have appeared on one or more late night talk shows but if they don't have air play on the 3 or 4 stations I listen to, I probably haven't heard of them. My musical taste has been broadened through these experiences because I do my homework and find out as much as I can about them before the show. Besides looking at Youtube videos, I usually check out one or more of the incoming artists' CD's from the Library and can almost always find interesting information about them at Wikipedia.org. Some of my favorites have been The Gourds, DeAnna Bogart, Antsy McClaine, Natalie MacMaster, Cadillac Sky, JJ Grey and Mofro, Ron Sexsmith and Nick Lowe. And now, after Sunday's concert at The Egyptian, I have a new group to add to my growing list of favorites:






I had fun doing research on this group and even listened to several of their songs often enough that they were stuck in my head!! They Might Be Giants have been around since the early 80's as a rock group but have enjoyed a lot of success writing and performing children's songs. The concert on Sunday was a children's show and the only things required from us was our time and a little bit of gear. They pulled up at 8 a.m. with a semi loaded with everything else they would need for the hour and a half concert in the afternoon:





I really wanted to post a bunch of pictures of their very elaborate set up but the inside of the theater is just too dark for either my phone or my camera to really do it justice. These are just a few of the case that rolled off the semi and onto the stage inside the theater:



There really wasn't much for me to do at the theater so I ended up spending the day at the shop continuing my quest to catch up all of my summer paperwork complete with color coded spread sheets (I LOVE color coded spread sheets!!). After picking up Gloria and Megan, we headed back to the theater and anxiously awaited the start of the show:










The Discovery Center was one of the concert's sponsors so they had a juggler perform to keep the hundreds of kids and their parents occupied from the time the doors opened at 3 until the concert started at 4. Of course, Gloria volunteered to be a part of his act right from the beginning!










The concert started with my favorite song:




The whole concert was full of energy and entertainment. . .


. . . AND confetti cannons!!!!





Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves except for one little boy a few rows in front of me that kept his hands over his ears the entire time!!!









They have a bunch of videos on Youtube but these are some of my favorites:








It was definitely my kind of show. . .

No comments: