Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween. . .

For the last several years, Rob and Zach have bonded over a scary Halloween maze that they build in our front yard. I go along with it in spite of the fact that it is big and time consuming and messy and well, you know, in our front yard. I'll admit that I get a kick out of it when neighbor kids are having a great time getting scared and saying how cool the whole thing is so I won't pretend that it's all Rob's and Zach's idea. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, the maze didn't happen this year. There were weather issues and time constraints but the excitement building up to the event just didn't seem to be there this year. When Rob suggested we have a little party at the church instead, Zach just got on board with it. No disappointment, no resentment, no tantrum throwing. We were all just OK with not having the maze this year. I think Zach knew all along that he just wanted to throw himself into character as Michael Jackson instead. . .




Gloria was very happy to trick-or-treat in the Adams' neighborhood for the first time in about 5 years. She went as some sort of Goth Diva. . .




Rob set up Guitar Hero in the gym complete with speakers, subs and moving lights:





It was pretty cool. . .






It was laid back and unplanned which is my favorite kind of party. . . The kind where I'm not actually in charge of entertaining anyone. . .





At the end of the evening, all we had to do was clean up the snacks and put away the speakers and stuff. There was no maze to take down, no yard to clean up, no neighbors looking at us like we've lost our minds. . .







It was admittedly a bit of a let down to skip the maze but at least we can look forward to making it bigger and better next year. For now I can look back and remember how much fun it was as well as how much work it was!! This is last year and the year before. . .

No comments: