Thursday, August 28, 2008

Domesticity

Well, I survived another summer. We still have one more Nampa Nights and an event every weekend of September but now my focus has to shift back to my kids and my house. Zach's birthday is usually the catalyst that pulls me back to domesticity. In other words, I have to get ready for a party. I have to face the fact that people will be coming to my house. My friend, Sam, used to try to get me to lighten up about my house by saying, "I'm not coming to visit your house, I'm coming to visit you". I've always been slightly obsessed with having my house in perfect order before having company. Needless to say, I don't have company very often. For the most part, the inside of the house is "clean" most of the time as long as you don't look too close. Zach's been great about helping keep things picked up. He even mops the floor when I ask him to! The family room/playroom is the place that really took a hit this summer. It's too easy to just shut the door and pretend it will go away if I ignore it long enough. It took the bulk of my house cleaning time and energy but I put my LOTR shelf back together so it brought me a little joy!

Meanwhile, Rob and Kurt went to Baker to work on the install that we started in the spring. The main focus of their time there was to "fly" two large speakers off of the auditorium ceiling. I was thrilled not to be there!! In this first picture you can see 4 eye bolts poking out of the ceiling that will hold up the speaker. Inside the ceiling there are all kinds of things in place that are attached to the bolts that will be holding the speakers. They have assured me that no one will ever be crushed by a falling speaker. . .

Kurt lowered a cable connected to a winch through a hole in the middle of the eye bolts. Rob attached the cable to this speaker so it could be raised up to the roof. . . So glad I missed it. . .

Rob followed the speaker up on a genie lift and carefully attached it to the bolts in the ceiling. I'm sure this process took a long time and I'm sure Rob and Kurt took every possible safety measure while installing both of the speakers but I'm sure glad I wasn't there. . .

Gloria spent a day with the Ritchies which made my housework much, much easier. . .



Zach has been begging to play Catan so I took a break on Wednesday evening and actually beat him!!

Thursday was Nampa Nights. . .



(I'm pretty sure Kurt is asleep in this picture. . . )

After Nampa Nights we went to JB's for dinner and the food server brought Zach a yummy birthday dessert. (Rob was hoping they would sing and embarrass him but they didn't . . .)

When I got home, I realized my house and yard were still not company ready and the big party on Friday was going to happen regardless, but I was really tired so I kept repeating Sam's wise words to myself. . . "I'm not coming to visit your house, I'm coming to visit you". And I went to sleep. . .

No comments: