Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sleep Deprivation

This last week was kind of a blur. Gloria improved quite a bit due to her medications but she continued to cough throughout the night Monday through Thursday resulting in serious sleep deprivation for me. Amazingly enough, I still had the strength to sing, "Father Abraham" with the kid's on Wednesday night:





I don't even remember what happened on Thursday- I must have been sleep walking- and no pictures to remind me. On Friday, we went to the shop at noon and Zach faithfully did his schoolwork while I worked and Gloria slept:

One bright spot in my week is this beautiful desk that Rob found for me:

It is actually just the top of an executive desk that Rob put on top of my existing desk, but it makes a world of difference. Rob found 4 of these beautiful, heavy maple desk tops at Pacific Recycling for $2.50 each. The whole shop looks like it's had a make-over:

It even prompted Rob to clean out his desk. Something that only happens once every 5 years or so:

Miraculously, we all left the shop together at about 6:30 and headed for home. This hasn't happened on a Friday night for a long time- possibly even longer than the last time Rob cleaned out his desk!! I've been promising the kids a trip to the Halloween Express Store and I couldn't put it off any longer. It was entertaining, but they really didn't have anything in our price range.



We even went to Home Depot to make some decisions about how to build the Halloween maze Zach has been planning over the last couple of months. We got some good ideas, but we still need to find a way to make a great maze with less money (and less mess!!).

At some point on Friday, Lucy must have gotten hurt. We don't have a clue what happened, but by Saturday morning, she wasn't moving much at all. When we helped her to her feet, she could walk a little bit but with very stiff legs and an arched back. We called the vet and were told that unless she was vomiting or convulsing, they were too busy to see her and we should watch her and wait until Monday. It's very hard to watch a sick, helpless pup and not be able to do anything to make it better.

It gave us hope that she could still eat and poop (!) so we tried not to worry.

On a related, yet unrelated note, our cat was in a cat fight early in the week and laid one of her back legs open to the bone. Luckily, I had some medication left from the last time she did this, so I just had to keep her inside (not an easy task) and give her medicine twice a day. She seems to have made a full recovery:

I was finally able to get Gloria a prescription cough medicine that worked wonders and helped her to sleep. Unfortunately, Lucy was so uncomfortable that I spent much of Saturday night tending to her. I am so ready for a good night's sleep.

No comments: