Monday, October 29, 2007

Good Things

Even though I was suffering from a braces-induced headache all day, even though everything in me wanted to stay in my warm house and not walk through a field of corn, and even though I wanted to stop spending money on Halloween anything . . . we still went to Linder Farms Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch on Monday evening. My kids don't get to go on school field trips to these types of places, so if I don't take them, they just miss out. And then I feel guilty. So, even though I was motivated by guilt, when all was said and done, I was really glad we went.

We met the Adams' there around 7:00 p.m. The girls spent some time on the big jump-house slides:

The boys ate deliciously warm, homemade donuts sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Yum!

We all took a hayride out to the pumpkin patch. . .

. . . and wandered around looking for perfect pumpkins:

We weren't actually looking to buy a pumpkin but it was still fun to look:

Megan was very proud of her pick:

We rode the hay wagon back to the main area and prepared for the corn maze.

We managed to make it through the maze without any mishaps in less than 20 minutes.

The weather was just perfect. We were plenty warm in sweatshirts and mittens.

As we walked through the maze we reminisced about coming to this same place last year with a bigger group of friends. The Longs and Ritchies had come along last year and now the Longs are in Maryland. :(

The girls rode on the barrel train. I rode on it earlier in the evening with Gloria and it actually made me kind of carsick!!!

We had someone take a group photo for us which reminded us of the group photo from last year. Kristin told me she would e-mail me a copy when she got home.

Here is the group that went to Linder Farms last year around this same time of year. For some reason Ashlie wasn't able to come with us, but Kristin sent her and Victoria each a copy of this picture when she sent it to me. Ashlie responded to the three of us with one of the sweetest notes I've ever received. I asked her if I could put it on my blog so I could cherish it forever (since I'll probably blog forever!!) She said yes and I've copied it below. She's wise and mature far beyond her 16 years.

"Thank you so much for that picture. although i wish i had been able to go to that. seeing that picture makes me cry. I miss you all so much. Its sad that you don't realize how much someone means to you, until they are gone, or in my case you can't see them anymore. The other day at church we were talking about role models and how much adults are a part of kids life. I know for a fact that this is true. I don't think you, victoria or tanya understand how much you guys have impacted my life. i would not be the person that i am with you wonderful ladies being my role model. I can't even begin to explain how much you have effected my life. Between the three of you and my mom I have no better people to look up too. When i am older and have kids you are what i want to resemble. Thank you for being a part of my life and being there for me when i needed to talk. I loved the times when we would get to talk. I learned so much about christ through you. Again thank you for being a part of my life.
i love you and miss you
Ashlie"
I love you, too, Ashlie, and you have given me an amazing gift just by being who you are!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Austin is not in the picture either. We sure do have lots of fun together - Love you, Vic