Monday, October 15, 2007

Heels Mandatory, Boas Optional

Last week when I went to lunch with Vic and Kristin, we decided we are all in need of a girl's night out. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile but it seems like there are always obstacles: What about childcare?? Will it be a "church-sponsored" event?? If so, do we put it in the bulletin?? If we put it in the bulletin, do we give it a catchy name?? If it's not a "church-sponsored" event and we don't put it in the bulletin, what if someone gets their feelings hurt because they aren't invited?? Do we invite everyone?? How do we invite everyone?????? Is it OK to have a glass of wine with church people???? As these thoughts go through my mind, I usually decide it's too much trouble and shove the idea aside. However, the thought of getting dressed up and going to a nice restaurant with women I rarely get to hang out with to just be a grown up for one evening is just too appealing to set aside for long. So when Vic and Kristin and I had lunch we decided to just put it on our calendars, not make a big deal out of it and make it happen. I took some scrap paper out of my purse and scribbled the time, date and place we decided on and wrote, "Heels mandatory, boas optional" and gave a copy to Vic and a copy to Kristin. With the long, tiring week I had, I didn't have much time to think about it, much less plan for it, but it was in the back of my mind and it kept me going. Five of us met at The Cheescake Factory at 6:30 p.m. We all wore heels but everyone chose to leave the boas at home:
When Victoria's husband found the note in her back pocket, he was a little suspicious about who it came from. I have a feeling she kept him waiting awhile before she told him it was from me!! You can see why he would be jealous:

Christie is one of those women I enjoy being around but our paths usually don't cross outside of church (except for the occasional New Year's Eve at the cabin!!). It was very fun and relaxing to just hang out and visit:

And then there's Kristin. Although we've known each other since Zach and Andrew were babies, we seldom have the chance to hang out without the kids. This was a rare treat:

I hang out with Lori a lot but it's usually while we're working and Rob and Gloria are always there hogging her attention. It was an extra bonus that we celebrated her birthday a week early!!!

After dinner, Kristin headed home to finish up a project she's been working on and the other four of us decided to lengthen our fun evening and walk through the mall. Of course, Victoria headed for Victoria's Secret and tried to get the rest of us to reveal our secrets, but Lori just wanted to run to Sears to buy her favorite underwear. Apparently, Vic doesn't think anything good comes out of Sears:

We spent a total of about 3 hours just laughing and talking and not worrying about kids, husbands and significant others. We definitely have to do this again but I don't think we can put "Heels and Boas" in the bulletin.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome Blog and an Awesome time last night! We definately need to do this more often. I am so lucky to have such fantastic friends who love me.

Melanie said...

As a "church person" I am personally offended that this post includes visible wine AND bras. WINE AND BRAS!! MY EYES.