Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Wreckers

I have been looking forward to this day all month. My favorite country singers, The Wreckers, are coming to the Eagle Knoll Winery and I'm helping with sound and lights!! It's Ric's show but he's using a bunch of our speakers and racks as well as Rob's expertise and we're setting up front and back truss with lights. This is also the last day of Nampa Nights. This thought puts a small damper on my day because I enjoy Nampa Nights and it's nice to have a regular, consistent, weekly paycheck for a change. Anyway. . . working with Ric is great- he hires loaders!! We have 6 strapping men to unload the trucks and put things where they go.

Rob and Dale aren't used to taking it easy like this, but I think we could all get used to it.
Our truck and Ric's truck both had to be completely and quickly unloaded before the buses rolled in with The Wreckers and their stuff.

I admit, I coveted just a little bit when I compared what I have:

. . . To what they have:

It was only a momentary set-back, though, since I've never been one to wish for fame and fortune. I had a friend in high school that wanted to be famous so bad, she just couldn't understand why I didn't find it appealing. Back to the set-up. . . . The group brought two buses with a loaded trailer on each and everything is expected to fit on this little stage:

For all their fame and fortune, you'd think they could afford some nicer cases. . .

It took a couple of hours, but they managed to fit everything onto the stage:

The set list:

Meanwhile, Gloria was tired of waiting for the girls to show their faces and was sure she was going to starve to death before the vendors were ready to serve:

With all of the extra help, it was a pretty easy set-up. Dale took off at 2:00 for Nampa Nights and Rob put finishing touches on the sound and lights:

I'm sure Rob had a few covetous moments himself at this beautiful, rented sound board:

It was a sold-out crowd:

Ric's wife, Debbie, brought us a picnic dinner complete with plums and brownies for dessert. Gloria had a great time hanging out with her. They scored a bunch of Wreckers tattoos and had fun plastering them on each other.

Debbie:

THE WRECKERS!!!!!!!!!!!







Gloria knows most of their songs and was very happy to be so close to the girls. She was more than a little disappointed, however, to see them smoking and drinking during their short break:

It was a great concert and the crowd was thrilled:



Gloria, singing along:







Rob had a good time running the lights and working with the Wreckers front-of-house tech:

Time to take it all down. . . .
My favorite song by The Wreckers is My Oh My:
(It's also my cell phone ringer!!)
"My, Oh My"

This concrete road used to just be dirt
We'd drive out here after work
Every Friday night when I was eighteen

This parking lot used to be a field
I parked here in my Oldsmobile
Long before the Sonic and the Walgreens

Not no more
Not no more
My, oh my
Look how the time flies
Look how the world changes
In the blink of an eye
My, oh my
Look how the years have flown
Turning around before you know it
Up and gone
Oh my, oh my, oh my

Times have changed and so have I
I once was young and starry-eyed
Now I have these bittersweet memories

Songs were long and gas was cheap
No cell phones and water was free
Daddy paid and I never had to worry

Not no more
Not no more
My, oh my
Look how the time flies
Look how the world changes
In the blink of an eye
My, oh my
Look how the years have flown
Turning around before you know it
Up and gone
Oh my, oh my, oh my

No comments: