Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Plan, What Plan??

As much as I'd like to think I have some kind of control over my plan, I don't. School went OK but I was distracted by my "Church Responsibilities Plan" so my "School Plan" got a little off-kilter. I still got to the shop around 3-ish but my "Be-At-Peak-Proficiency-At-Work Plan" was completely destroyed when I walked in the door. Rob needed help with the little cases-they needed to be foamed and delivered before 4:30 AND the Egyptian had called and we needed to add a stage deck to cover the organ pit (probably not the right term!) sometime before a concert on Thursday. I had a quizzing meeting at the church at 7:00 and Dale had a meeting and was unavailable to help, so we had a very small window of opportunity to accomplish these things. I put my plan on the back burner and helped Rob. The cases were delivered by 4:15 and we headed over to the Egyptian. When Rob and Dale installed the stage last week, they ran out of time and did not put a deck over the organ. They knew this deck would have to be taller and that special legs would have to be cut and they'd have to figure out a way to clamp it tightly
to. . . something. In this picture you can see the 4 poles sticking up that the stage deck will be lowered onto. In between these four poles is a very large organ so there is very little room to maneuver. Rob and an Egyptian employee set the deck on the poles while I crawled around underneath and stuck the poles into the slot under each corner of the stage deck. I got seriously claustrophobic.

If you zoom in on this picture, you can see Rob's head peeking up under the deck addition. He's clamping it together with ratchet straps and when he finished, the deck felt just as strong and stable as the rest of the stage. We still have several more additions to this project, but we'll take it one show at a time.

Back at the shop, I had last minute touches to put on my quizzing info for the meeting but I still made it to the church on time. The "informational" meeting was kind of a bust with only the people who have already been very involved in quizzing showing up. It was discouraging.

Back to the shop to prep for a Thursday show. So much for my "Always-leave-the-shop-by 9:00 Plan". These are the days that I'm very thankful my kiddos are night owls:



We left the shop by 1:00 a.m. all prepped and ready for tomorrows shows.

No comments: