Sunday, September 2, 2007

More Birthday!

Sunday morning at church we had a farewell celebration for Dr. Susie Dillon. I've known Susie for over 10 years but I really didn't have a chance to get to know her well. I know she was always a great encouragement to me when it came to music. She let me know just about every time Rob and I led music that she appreciated it. I could always count on her to sit in the same place- 3rd row from the back, aisle seat, left side as you look out from the front- with a smile of encouragement for me. She is starting a new adventure in Alaska with something like 12 dogs. She will be missed.

Later in the afternoon we went to Storey Park for another birthday party for Zach. Jeanie made him a Star Wars cake with an entire wheat-less section. (Although we try to avoid wheat and other things due to his food allergies, he has mostly decided an occasional stomach ache is a small price to pay for getting to feel full. Poor kid.)

This is a picture my mom took in this same park for Zach's birthday last year. He and Kelsey have always been pretty close to the same height:

This year, it looks like Zach has passed her up!!

The last couple of family get-togethers, Rob has been picking Tony's brain about building a stage trailer. Now that our stage is out of commission for the next several months, Rob is planning to build a stage on a trailer and Tony is an expert welder and Trailer-builder (I'm pretty sure that's not the correct term, but it will have to do!)

More stuff to clutter up my house!!! Actually, most of the stuff he got, he'll either wear, build to display or store in his DS.

Cody lit the candles on the cake:

The girls played on the playground:



And Rob tortured Kelsey:

In my de-cluttering over the summer, I found several things to give to my littlest niece. One of those things was an electronic book that allows the "reader" to make up a story with the push of a button. We acquired this great toy when Zach was about two and both kids have enjoyed it immensely over the years. Since it had been in the bottom of a toy box for the last few years, I asked Zach (whose name is on it claiming ownership) if I could give it to his cousin. He was happy for her to have it. Gloria, on the other hand, was shocked and appalled that I would give it away. It's funny how she can be so grown-up and responsible one minute and then, suddenly, she's a little girl with a grudge:











It was one of those difficult mother moments because we want our children to be happy (sometimes at any cost) but I knew this toy would not be played with at our house and it needed a new home where it would be put to good use. I stood my ground. She got over it. I wish I would do that more often.

No comments: