Tuesday, January 23, 2007

January 23, 2007

Back in late October, we ran sound for a promotional event for Bogus Basin. Our pay for the event was 5 season passes to the mountain. In celebration of Rob's birthday (Jan. 24th), we headed up to Bogus this afternoon.


It's not easy packing ski/snowboard equipment for 4 people, so we got a later start than Rob had intended (my lack of excitement about the whole thing also caused me to move a little slower). Dale had agreed to help teach the kids so he went up early and got his fill of the more difficult runs before we got there. He got a big kick out of all of our stuff as we unloaded the van and just had to take this picture:



Things started out pretty badly for me on many levels. The ski boots we bought on E-bay were high-performance racing boots (Dale informed us of this later in the day) and they were horribly uncomfortable. I was also feeling very conspicuous in my red and purple puffy second-hand "ski" jacket. There's nothing like snow pants and knit caps and puffy coats to lift the self-image (not). So, here I was in boots that were too tight and made me lean WAY forward and clothing that made me feel like the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man, completely unable to walk 2 feet in front of me. Rob was a very good sport and managed to get me into my skis and over to the bunny hill while Dale took the kids and their snow boards and started to show them how to manuever. The kids took to it pretty quickly but I was miserable. After just one completely failed attempt at moving a couple of feet, I asked Rob to find me a place to sit down so I could watch the kids. He found a pole about half way up the bunny hill and, literally, leaned me up against it. This worked out ok at first and I was able to take some good shots of the kids:






Rob and Dale were very patient teachers.

This arrangement worked out fine for a little while, but then the kids were ready to try the chair lift up to the top of the coach. They made sure I was ok with it and the four of them left me there. . . it was pretty quiet. I watched the other beginners for awhile and then I mostly felt sorry for myself. I thought about my family having fun without me. . . this would just be the beginning. . . I am over 40 now. . . life is mostly over anyway. . . I shed a few tears. . . Then something kicked in and I heaved myself away from the pole and reached for my skis that were lying just a little ways off to the side. Somehow I clicked my high-performance ski boots into place and started to pray. I didn't have far to go, but it seemed like a long way! About this time, Rob was at the top of the hill and called to me. It was too late. . . I was headed straight for the bottom, skis straight, head down, and lots of fervent prayers going up. It was actually kind of fun. I decided to stop by sitting down when I reached the bottom and Rob reached me about that same time. My 40 year old body didn't fall apart or even hurt as I got up and dusted myself off. I decided it was actually kind of fun and things turned around for me in that moment!! Rob helped me get the hang of it again and Dale gave me some good pointers and before I knew it I was going up the conveyer belt to the top of the bunny hill. Things went pretty smoothly as I continued to ski down and ride the conveyer back up so I was finally ready for the ski lift to the top of the coach. Piece of cake. This picture is of Gloria doing a face plant off the lift while Rob and Dale quickly come to her aid:


I spent the rest of the evening skiing down the hill and learning all kinds of tricks and tips from Dale. I have to admit that I was very proud of myself. I even let Dale take a picture when all was said and done so I could hold onto the moment:


The trip back was beautiful since you can see all of the lights of Boise down below. This isn't a great shot, but it'll do:


So, what seemed like a day that would end in disaster turned out pretty good. We're planning to go again next Thursday with the stipulation that we can trade in my top-notch ski boots for an old pair of comfy granny ones!!




Gloria January 23, 2007












Zach January 23, 2007













1 comment:

Gregg Koskela said...

Way to be brave!! :)

Happy birthday, Rob!