Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who knew??

So it turns out, I'm a runner. Pretty weird since I've never been the least bit athletic (remember, I lettered in Math Club) so I've been really surprised at my ability and need to run. It started by accident last November-ish when I was walking Emma and the constant leash pulling was driving me crazy so I decided to let her go at her own pace for awhile as I started to run (I'm not talking a fast run here, by any means!). The funny thing was, I just kept running until I got home. So I tried it again the next day, figuring I would just stop and walk every once in awhile but instead, I just kept running. No one can be more surprised by this than me. I only ran a handful of times before the weather turned too cold and my new found skill hibernated for the winter. When things started to warm up a couple of weeks ago, I tentatively tried again to see if the whole thing was just a fluke. So far, not a fluke! I even marked off a 5K route in my neighborhood and the adjacent neighborhood and started timing myself. Just to keep all of this firmly in reality, my time is app. 32 minutes for app. 3.1 miles which isn't great, but it's a start. The weirdest part of all is that I actually enjoy it! I put my favorite music in my ears, leash up one of the dogs and run. I've decided that my real motivation to run is because I can. I don't have any old sports injuries (one of the benefits of not being an athlete) and, for the most part, I don't have any aches and pains at all. So, I should run! Because I can.


My neighborhood is getting a little boring so today I decided to find another trail to keep things interesting. The greenbelt is less than 2 minutes away from the shop so I decided to map out a 5K there as well so I can vary my route. My plans changed a little when Rob decided to come along so instead of mapping out the distance, we just walked the dogs. For about 7 miles! We walked (at a pretty good pace) along the greenbelt for about 3.5 miles (almost to the fairgrounds) and then crossed Chinden and walked along the canal bank all the way back to the shop. And then we had lunch at Chapalas. But that's what happens when I walk with Rob!! :)



Since I've decided this running thing may be a long term condition, I'm planning to run an official 10K in June. Every year the Cherry Festival has a walk/run event on Saturday so it makes sense to set that as my first goal. Who knows what will happen after that. . .

1 comment:

love Tweety said...

Run,Forest,Run.... Actually I am very proud of you!!!! Maybe we will be there to see it.... Just maybe..