Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Happy May Day!

This evening there was a knock at the door and when I opened it all I found was this pretty little flower with a note! Happy May Day!!


Earlier today, the kids had to take their reading and language ISATs. I am very anti-standardized testing, so I dislike this process more than the kids. I always just tell them to do their best or I will have to disown them forever or at the very least I will be suddenly struck by how un-smart they are and be severly disappointed. They laugh hysterically when I say this because they know I already know what they know and don't really care what the tests say they know or don't know.


The tests were over by 3:00-ish so we stopped by the shop to finish up end-of-month stuff. I only stayed a couple of hours and went home to work on the house. It's rare that we are home in the evening in the middle of the week, so Gloria made the rounds to see if anyone could play. All her girlfriends were busy with homework, baseball, and dinner so she "settled" on the boy across the street. When it's just the two of them, they have a great time.

It wasn't long before a crowd of kids came over to play just as Zach was getting ready to take the dogs (Prince and Emma) for a walk. The next hour was pretty hysterical. The kids were excited at the prospect of walking the two big dogs and the dogs were excited at the prospect of mixing in with a pack of little kids. It was chaos trying to put on collars and leashes and keep the kids on the outside of the door so the dogs couldn't jump the gun in their excitement. The little one in this picture was especially excited- and afraid:

I had my hands full after that and couldn't take a picture, but I'm sure we looked like a traveling circus. Emma could hardly contain herself and strained against her leash so hard that I was being half-dragged down the sidewalk while she was being half-choked by her collar. Zach had Prince, who was better behaved, but wanted to smell everything and leave his mark as often as possible. The kids, ranging in age from 2 to 14, crowded along behind and in front, getting tangled and tripped up by the leashes and arguing about who liked who better and why couldn't they have a turn holding the leashes. Trailing behind the pack at a safe distance was our cat, Snowfie, who looked like she wanted to keep an eye on this craziness but she didn't want anyone to know she knew us. Things finally settled down- when we got home. It was quite an adventure.


I cooked a pan of lasagna tonight (the frozen kind, of course) and Gloria was so happy about it, I caught her licking her bowl clean!

Poor Zach can't have lasagna. It's funny, though, how even before we knew about his tomato allergy he wasn't crazy about lasagna and pizza anyway.

No comments: