Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve. . .


Every year for the past decade or so we have spent Christmas Eve at my parent's house with my sister's family and my Uncle Gale and Aunt Tracie.  Last Christmas Eve we all agreed that THIS Christmas Eve, we would all wear our pajamas and be comfortable.  We confirmed that on several occasions throughout the year with a final reminder on Thanksgiving.  But then I turned 46 and my memory left me.  Actually, it had been a crazy week with Rob sick and Gloria catching up with birthday parties and work and, and, and.  It's always something.  Anyway, I forgot about the PJ's.  But everyone else looked great!!


We had a lovely time, as usual, reading the Christmas Story, exchanging White Elephant gifts, opening presents, eating way too much yummy food (waffles this year!) and enjoying each other's company.  (This was the first Christmas Eve that Rob has ever missed, I'm pretty sure. . . )




Remember the tree branch from the 50th wedding anniversary celebration?  It doubles as a Christmas ornament display!!


My sister's Scotty dog, Sylvester, passed away earlier this year and she has missed him terribly.  When I found Scotty Dog decorative pillow, I couldn't resist buying it for her. . .

She liked it. . .










We have traditions at home, too, on Christmas Eve.  I thought maybe they wouldn't be as important since the kids are now 14 and 20 but they look forward to sleeping in the living room next to the tree and waking up to find all of their presents wrapped and waiting for them (ok, mostly Gloria).  Unfortunately, as they age, so do I.  Which means they can stay up later and later and I want to go to bed earlier and earlier!  I had wrapped everything the day before so all I had to do was wait until they fell asleep so I could sneak them under the tree.  I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And finally I just went to sleep and finished up a few hours later. 

I enjoy the peacefulness of early Christmas morning in a clean, decorated house while everyone else snoozes away. . .


I suppose I should be thankful that Gloria can still experience the magic of Christmas.  I try not to think about time flying by and the changes that will bring to our family traditions. . .

No comments: