Sunday, March 18, 2007

March 18, 2007

Day 4, Services 5 & 6 of a 4-day, 6-service event

The first Sunday service started at 9 a.m. WAY too early. The pastors wife, or as they refer to her, "First Lady", opened the service with scripture, prayer, and a couple dozen "Amen's".

The worship team sang and clapped and danced a bit. . .

. . . the mimes put on another great and moving performance. . .

. . . I'm not sure what happened next since I ducked out the side door and went and enjoyed a tall cup of coffee and the Sunday paper. . .

When I returned, people were filing forward laying $ on the alter.
After the service, I picked up the kids at BFC and drove out to my in-laws to let Cera out.
The kids and I went home for a short while before getting back in the car and going back to work.





My good friend, Lori, came to the 3:00 service to hang out with me! She helped us all last summer at many of our shows and I always love having her around. Here she is talking to Dale:

Once again, the music was fantastic!!
Witherspoon performed an acapella number that was amazing:

The choir performed several numbers and they had an amazing soloist:



GB5 started out with CD tracks and then had the band join them for a set of worship songs:

The speaker for the evening was the area superintendent and he was great. . . for the first half-hour, forty-five minutes. . . 2 and a half hours later, not so much. The service lasted just over 4 hours and I came to really appreciate my own pastor and the short/sweet services we have at my church!! I will never again think Shawn or Gil are preaching too long!!!

Towards the end of the service, the superintendent called up "Pastor and First Lady" and had them stand before the congregation. Throughout all of these services, it has been very apparent that the "First Family" is held in very high regard and people in the congregation are continuously exhorted to support them and follow their lead. (I even heard the word "obey" at one point!) So, while I took all of this with a grain of salt, it did make me realize that we don't encourage our pastors nearly enough. I don't think we should exalt them, I just think we need to be better about coming alongside them, praying for them, and encouraging them as much as possible. Lori and I resolved to be better at encouraging our pastors and their families.

All in all I would have to say this was a good experience. We met some amazing people who took us in and loved us and called us family. One couple even gave us gift cards to the Outback Steakhouse. Everyone was very appreciative and kind.
This is Xaviery. He's one of the men who hired us and is the regular sound tech for the church. I'm sure we'll be seeing him again:

Tear down. . .

. . . it took two days to set it all up and we pulled it all down in just over three hours!

I'm tired.

No comments: