Thursday, April 21, 2011

Three Things. . .

First, an update on Lucy: She is mostly the same.  We thought she had lost her appetite since she wouldn't eat anything yesterday or this morning but it turns out she's just feeling very picky.  The vet told us we could give her plain chicken with white rice in lieu of the bland, expensive stuff and she scarfed it down three times today.  She is still yellow but she is also still getting around pretty well and is pretty perky.  She wears out very quickly so it's obvious that her body is working hard at getting rid of whatever is making her sick.  We go back to the vet in the morning to see what needs to happen next. . .

Secondly, I've been working really hard this week on getting all of my books organized so I can sell them for close to what they are worth.  I kept most of my home school stuff separate from the yard sale because some of it is worth an arm and a leg.  I've been searching the web to find fair prices and I've gone through every single book to sort it into piles: some by subject, some by title, some by curriculum, etc.  Probably way more work than was necessary.  I expected it to be a lot of work but I didn't expect to feel so sentimental about some of the books.  For the most part I think this has been a very good transition year for all of us.  After teaching both of my kids for the last 11 years, Gloria has had a great year at her charter school and Zach has worked pretty much independently of me.  Mostly because I can't do Calculus and Physics.  We've had some great discussions about politics and world religions but he sets his own schedule and finishes his work.  I check in to make sure it's all getting done and that's about the extent of my "teaching" this year.  But on the other hand, this was a big part of my life for a very long time and looking through the books brought back memories of snuggling on the couch reading books, getting those Aha moments when something clicked (for me as well as for the kids!) and even taking a scalpel to the belly of a frog.  Those times are all behind me now.  It's a little bittersweet.  I am pretty happy, though, to say good bye to all of these books!!  I'll have a big book sale on Saturday and then I'll be moving on. . .

And, lastly, the kids decorated their Easter eggs this evening.  I boiled the eggs and went about my business, eventually returning to take pictures. . .








It's been a tough week for a lot of reasons but today I actually felt a glimmer of hope. . .

No comments: