Monday, April 18, 2011

A Day.

I'm not really sure how to describe this day.  It was just kind of strange.

I took Lucy to the vet.  Her ears are yellow.  So are her eyes and her belly and her gums.  Apparently that isn't a good sign.  The vet was concerned.  Very concerned.  He even said the "C" word.  We lost Emma suddenly to the "C" word last year so we're all feeling a little bit uneasy about that but no one wants to say it out loud.  They drew some blood and we'll find out the results in the morning.  I'm sure it's nothing. . .

Gloria went to the dentist today for a filling.  She was given laughing gas and thoroughly enjoyed it.  She was dreading the visit and now she can't wait to go back.  Not sure what that means. . .

Gloria and I went to the store together when we left the vet and we walked through the store holding hands.  She's 12 and that doesn't usually happen in public.  It was nice.  She even hugged me at the cash register and said, "thank-you" and the cashier smiled surprisingly at us and said that our eyes are exactly the same. 

When we got home, Gloria and I worked together and made dinner and set the table with matching dishes.  The four of us sat together and told funny stories about our day as one thing reminded us of another.  Some of the topics were very random. 

After dinner we watched the rest of the final season of That 70's Show on Netflix.  We often joke that Rob is Red, I am Kitty, Zach is Eric and, we have finally decided, Gloria is Jackie.  Season 8 wasn't all that great but the finale' was good and made us all feel a little sad that it was over.  Even though it was on Netflix and we can watch any episode of any season at any time. 

While we watched, Lucy walked around giving each of us her tennis ball, hoping that someone would take pity on her and toss it in the air.  She is supposed to be taking it easy so she finally gave up and just stared at us with her chin resting on the ball. 

At the end of the final episode, Gloria got ready for bed, Zach and Rob cleaned up the kitchen and I sat down to write.  Gloria called me in when she was ready to be tucked in and as I walked in the door I realized she had tears in her eyes. 

"What if Lucy has cancer?"

What do you say to that when you've so recently lost a dog to cancer?  I'm choosing to be optimistic and believe that the results will lead in an entirely different direction. 

So we said our prayers and I kissed her wet cheek.  I'm sure everything will be fine. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, no. I am really sorry, and I am joining you in praying for good news.

My Crazy Beautiful Life said...

Thanks, really hoping for a miracle!