Thursday, January 6, 2011

Public School. . .

There was a time, not very long ago, when the title of this post would have made me feel queasy. From the time I started researching my kindergarten options for Zach, I've struggled with the idea of public school. I've never really been able to pinpoint why and it may have something to do with the fact that we moved a lot when I was in elementary school, making me the new kid no less than 5 times by the third grade, but I actually liked school so I don't think I can blame it on that. . .

Regardless of the reason, I was hesitant to send Gloria off to public school last fall after teaching her at home for six years . . .

Now that we are safely, securely and happily four months into the school year I can see that I had nothing to feel queasy about! Granted, I think the school that we chose has helped ease us into things a great deal because of it's eclectic approach and small class sizes.

Gloria has made friends and continues to look forward to each and every school day. . .



On the few occasions I've been inside the school, my first impression is usually along the lines of, "this is such a weird little place". But it's the good kind of weird. . .


It's artsy and quaint. . .



And sweet little Ellie goes there which really helped cinch the deal for us. . .


I couldn't have asked for a better teacher for Gloria. His name is Ryan. Just Ryan. I can't even recall his last name. . .


He's friendly and seems to handle the class with a good balance of kindness and discipline. . .


One of the biggest drawing points for me was the multi-age approach the school has. Each class is made up of two grades (example, Gloria is in a 5th/6th grade class) and the age groups are integrated on a regular basis. . .


Every Wednesday they have a morning program that gives each class a turn at taking responsibility for the content. . .


Gloria's class gave a presentation on what they've been learning about Egypt. . .

It was good. . .


While I don't regret the years I spent teaching her, I can appreciate the things she's getting to be a part of now that I couldn't give her at home. . .


Map making and public speaking just might be her future calling. . .


She wasn't the least bit nervous. . .

As I sat and watched her read her prepared speech, the one she wrote and reviewed several times before the presentation, I was one proud mama. . .

It confirmed what I already knew. . .

We made the right choice.

I don't think any of this was coincidence. . .

No comments: