Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ready or Not. . .

(Here I go, down Memory Lane again. . . )
It seems like just yesterday that I was having what my friend Sam called, "Kindergarten Hysteria". I had it bad. I didn't want to put my little Zach in a place where he would spend his days without me and where he would learn things that I didn't teach him. 13 years ago, there were very few options to choose from.
I visited the elementary school in our district and wanted to throw up when I walked in the door. Yeah. . . no. I drove out to Greenleaf and looked at the Friends Academy way, way, way out past Caldwell. I would have to either make that drive twice a day or put my baby on a bus. I had to say no to that one. I checked out Maranatha. Nope. I thought about home school. Yeah, right. I finally settled on Cole Valley Christian because on the day I visited they were learning about dinosaurs. Zach loved dinosaurs so I figured it must be a sign.
It really wasn't the best choice but it wasn't the worst either and I'm glad that I figured out that home schooling was the right option for him after all . . . but the point of the story is. . . that it was tough thinking about sending my little boy out into the world to face who-knows-what.
And here we are again. 13 years later. And I'm trying not to have "College Hysteria".
Zach has already made his choice- BSU - and I think it's a good choice for his first year but we visited the campus today to locate the testing place for his ACT test on Saturday and it just felt weird. Not bad-weird just surreal-weird. Can I really have an 18 year old who is graduating and getting ready for college? Didn't I just graduate from high school??
I guess maybe I've been in denial and now I have deadlines looming- transcripts, scholarship applications, financial aid, admissions, a cap and gown, planning a graduation ceremony. . .
I'm just not ready for this.
But ready or not, it's here. . .

No comments: