Sunday, December 19, 2010

Birthday Party #4. . .

In all the years that I taught Gloria at home, I think her number one complaint was that she didn't have enough friends. She always made friends easily enough at events or the park or pretty much everywhere we went, but when birthday time rolled around, her guest list was pretty small. She watched her church friends have their "school friend" parties over the years as well as their "church friend" parties and even several combinations of the two. So, if nothing else about our entry into public school is successful this year, at least she got to have a "school friend" party. I've met a few of her friends but haven't really had a chance to see them all interact together. I can honestly say that the myth of home school socialization really is just a myth. Gloria is totally socialized.

She has a pretty big group of friends at school and, from the stories I've heard, she's smack-dab in the middle of everything but she chose just 3 of her closest friends plus, of course, her "we've-been-friends-since-we-were-in-the-womb-and-I-can't-live-without-her friend", Megan. . .

This is Rylee. She and Gloria have spent a few afternoons together after school and she even came to our youth group Halloween party. She's a sweetie. . .


This is Tsigereda. She was recently adopted by a family here and, until about 6 months ago, she lived in Ethiopia. Gloria has probably spent more time with her than any of the other girls at school. She calls me "Gloriamom" with a little roll in her "r". The other girls kept correcting her and telling her to call me Tanya but I really prefer Gloriamom. She has beautiful manners, is very sensitive to other people's feelings and she had never had waffles before Saturday morning.



This is Autumn. I hadn't met her before the party but I'm glad she's one of Gloria's friends. Very sweet and respectful.

And, of course, sweet Megan. These two are probably more like sisters, or at least cousins, and I have a feeling they will always be friends. . .

The party was mostly uneventful except for the whipped cream fight. . .





The next morning, we woke up to snow! I'm not sure who's idea it was, but before I knew it, the girls were challenging each other to walk through the snow BAREFOOT!!












It was a fun party . . .




PS. . . The girls had decided ahead of time to do a white elephant gift exchange. This is what Tsigerda brought- all the way from Ethiopia!! Lucky Megan was the one who took it home!

PSS. . . Thanks, Jeanie, for letting us hang out at your house!!! :)

No comments: