Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Aunt JoAnn

We received sad news over the weekend. My great-aunt, JoAnn, passed away suddenly at the age of 77.

Although it had been awhile since I had seen her, I have wonderful memories of visiting her house when I was growing up. Her husband, my Uncle Marvin, was my Grandma Hiner's brother. When my dad was just 2 years old, his dad was killed in a logging accident. He had one infant brother and my grandma was barely pregnant with her third baby. This is a photo out of my mom's album of my grandma with her two boys shortly after her young husband died:


My mom has done a lot of research and genealogy so we know that the three boys probably moved around a lot while growing up and they must have spent a lot of time with their Uncle Marvin:

When I was growing up, every time I would visit Grandma Hiner, we would travel across town to Marv and JoAnn's place. I loved going there. Some of my memories . . . a wooden screen door with a fat squeaky hinge that we were instructed not to slam. . . a big red brick fireplace in the front room. . . an enormous wagon wheel in the driveway. . . a beautiful garden. . . three long-haired teenage boys. . . and my Uncle Marvin's tattoos. I guess I probably saw Marv and JoAnn a few times a year right up until I got married. And every year since then, give or take, I've received a Christmas card lovingly signed by Aunt JoAnn. I had the privilege of singing at her funeral. . .

The last time my parents saw her (about three months ago), she instructed my dad that he was to officiate at her funeral and she wanted him to keep it short. . . He did a beautiful job and it was sweet to hear his memories of an aunt that brought a lot of joy into his life as a child. My dad's two brothers came to the service. . . the three of them haven't spoken much since my grandma died about 10 years ago. . . Lloyd is on the left, then Nelson and his wife, Judy:

After the short but sweet service, we went to Marv and JoAnn's house. The same one they've lived in since 1957. The same one I have many happy memories of. The wagon wheel is still in the driveway although it's not as enormous as I remember. . .

The garden is filled with flowers and vegetables and my dad and Nelson walked through it admiringly. . .

I'm pretty sure this windmill was around back then, too. . .

. . . And Uncle Marvin still has his tattoos! Back in my childhood, he was the only man I knew, with the exception of Popeye, that had tattoos!!

The three long-haired teen aged boys all grew up, cut their hair, and had families of their own. This is Craig and Jody with their three kids. I didn't get any pictures of the other two boys but it was really nice reconnecting with them. We've all vowed to get together soon. . .

Growing up, we took a lot of pictures in front of this red brick fireplace. Of course, it seemed so much bigger back then. . . This is Nelson, Judy, Karen (my mom) and Stan (my dad):

I love this picture of my dad. Aunt Judy was instructing him to button his jacket . . .

Nelson and Judy:

I'm trying to track down a family photo of the four of us in front of this fireplace but I don't have it yet. . . Time flies. . .

After the funeral, before Lloyd left, the three brothers made plans to get together for dinner that evening. . . and they did. . . and I think it was good . . .

Funerals really make you think. I regret not going to visit my Aunt JoAnn before she died. I regret not having an adult friendship with her. I would have liked to have known her better. But good things come out of these situations and I think we'll see JoAnn's influence in years to come. . .

No comments: