Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Quiz Meet #3 @ Newberg Friends

We hit the road Friday morning for Quiz Meet #3. There were fewer people on the bus this time so we had some room to stretch out. We were a little concerned about the weather and the overnight stay in Pendelton during the last trip was still fresh in our minds.

Morgan got to ride the bus this trip!!!!

Corri. . .

We had a pretty uneventful trip over. The weather was OK and we only had about an hour delay while they righted an overturned semi just a few cars ahead of us. . . Thankfully, we didn't see any of it happen. We arrived in Newberg at a decent hour which gave us plenty of time to have dinner, get registered at Newberg Friends and, my favorite part: hang out with the Koskelas!!! Gloria and I had the privilege of staying in Talli's room and Gloria has decided to decorate her own room at home in much the same way. This is pretty close to the color of paint that we bought for her birthday but haven't done anything with yet:

The boys stayed with Jered's grandparents and we reunited first thing Saturday morning at Newberg Friends.

Corri has been so great about quizzing with a middle school team from Meridian. She found them first thing and went to sit close to her teammates.

Every meet starts with a time of worship as we all meet together in the sanctuary.

The quizzing rounds started by 10:00 a.m. and I didn't realize just how prepared my kids were until I saw them in action that very first round.

We won the first round with three of the kids quizzing out (answering 4 correct questions).

The second round was even better- 4 of my kids quizzed out which means. . . I have to dye my hair pink on Sunday!! When I made that deal with them, I really didn't think 4 people could quiz out in one round. When you think about the odds, it seems pretty slim. There are 8 people total (from two teams) and only 20 questions. . . but they did it!

The morning rounds continued to go well with only one loss. All of the teams did a great job and it was fun to watch the competition and the camaraderie between the teams.

After lunch, the Verse-Off was held in the sanctuary. Zach and Alyssa both memorized all of the verses so they felt pretty confident as they took the stage with the others.

There was a six-way tie when all was said and done and Alyssa completed her first Verse-Off!! Congrats to Zach and Alyssa!!

When the afternoon rounds started up, we seemed to struggle for a few rounds, but we still held our own. I'm amazed that the kids can stay upbeat for this long. Amazingly enough, Bible Quizzing can be pretty intense.

I'm always able to relax a little when I'm in Ken and Judy's room. They are really good at this and that makes it easier for everyone.

At the end of the 16 rounds, we found ourselves with 15 wins, 1 loss. (Four of them quizzed out again in the last round!) I was very proud of my kids. They worked really well together as a team as they supported and encouraged one another. The awards ceremony began after dinner and Zach and Alyssa collected their "I Survived The Memory Verse Challenge" certificates:



In the middle school division, Meridian Friends won first place!!!

Andrew's hard work paid off and he ended up in the top 8!!!

Zach also received a ribbon for finishing in the top 8!!

And most exciting of all. . . when the team awards for the high school division were handed out. . . Boise Friends took first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just couldn't be any prouder! Although, I was pretty proud when my team performed a skit for the talent show. (Long story short: there was going to be a talent show, so we prepared a skit but then only one other team responded so they canceled the talent show but they knew we were prepared so they told us to present it anyway and then they gave us a prize!) It was so funny, I had to put it on Youtube. I still laugh when I watch it!!

The entertainment for the evening was a drama group from George Fox. They were fun to watch.

I rarely saw Gloria during the meet since she has attached herself to the Newberg girls. She spent most of the day playing with Hailey and Aubrey Koskela, which made things so much easier for me, and then in the evening, she hung out with Talli, Jana, Stevie and Marissa. I think this is such a sweet picture:



After a short intermission and a yummy snack (hot fudge, brownie, ice cream sundaes!) a local band put on a concert complete with a light show. They did a really good job.

It was just really nice to be able to stay with the Koskelas. They have a very warm, inviting, comfortable place and we all felt very much at home there.



After what seemed like a very short night, we packed up the van and headed back to the church. I was ready to go home, but I could have stayed here longer:

Back on the bus:

This trip, Katrina caught a ride home after flying over on Friday. It was nice having Allison, Gary and Katrina along for company and moral support!!

The ride home was completely uneventful and every kid on the bus was well-behaved.





All in all it was a very good trip. I really enjoy working with this group of kids and I'm looking forward to meet #4 in March at Hayden Lake!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeahhh, Quizers! You are doing such a good job with them Tanya. A good team starts with a great leader, you know! I am glad that you are home safe and sound and am anxiously awaiting the pink hair. Kind of jealous actually.

Gregg Koskela said...

You guys are all so very awesome! It was great having you, and I'm proud to say I know the big time winners!