Monday, January 21, 2008

Pretty?? In Pink

Pink is really not my color. When I made the deal with the quiz team, I should have offered to pierce my nose because it would have been easier and more attractive. I had made an appointment way back in December to have my hair cut and highlighted on Saturday and Mechelle warned me that putting any type of gel or dye on top of the highlights would cause a permanent stain. She added a few modest pink highlights to the new blond ones that would wash out in a couple of weeks and would allow me to say I had dyed my hair pink. From the look on Zach's face when I got home, I knew it wouldn't be enough so I spent the day Saturday trying to find an acceptable solution that would satisfy the kids and not leave me permanently pink. I purchased a long, blond hair extension, some glue to attach it with, a couple of bright pink pony tails and a bottle of bright pink hair spray. I tried all sorts of combinations but couldn't find a satisfactory solution. On Sunday morning, I finally bit the bullet and just sprayed my hair. It wasn't pretty. I brought the spray with me to church in case the kids wanted to join me in my pinkishness but Lori decided my pink was too wimpy and really let me have it. Amazingly enough, when Lori was through with me, there was still enough pink left in the bottle that each of the quizzers got a shot of pink, too. I knew I'd have to make explanations early in the service, so I had the kids join me up front. I was reminded again of how well they did and how proud I am of them. The pink was worth it.

Yikes!

In spite of the silly-ness, worship as a whole was very meaningful for me. I was struck by a very real sense of belonging with this community of believers. It had nothing to do with the pink hair and everything to do with the acceptance and authenticity of the people around me that is displayed time and again. I enjoy coming to church and being in the company of my "family". After church, the quiz team decided we should go to Wendy's and spend the prize they received at the quiz meet. All of the parents came along and we had a great time. We really should do this more often.


Just for the record, the pink spray washed out on the first try on Sunday afternoon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to be the vessel by which you discovered your inner pinkness. You know its my favorite color! Who else would cry over the loss of their pink truck? Anyway, you proved what so many already know, you are stunningly beautiful regardless of your hair color. I love you.