Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Quiz Meet. . . Finally. . .

In a nutshell: It was a good meet. My team probably did better than at any other meet during the last two years that they have been quizzing together. I think they all had a really good time, too, so that's just a bonus!
We ended up in 5th place out of 15 high school teams for the last meet and 5th out of 16 teams for the season. Zach placed 3rd as an individual, both for the last meet and for the overall season AND was a survivor in the Verse Off. Andrew placed in the top 8 by quizzing out almost every single round! Even though Steph didn't "place" she made a huge difference for the team by answering a question or two just about every round. When the third person answers, the team gets 10 bonus points so her first answer would actually be worth 30! At any rate, I was very proud of all of them!
Because I'm the coach of the high school team, I don't get to watch Gloria's team quiz at all. Maybe next year that will change! I think they all had fun and Gloria even entered the Verse Off!
The activity was roller skating (SO much fun) and then we had the final awards ceremony. It's fun but tense to watch the top 8 high school quizzers face off against each other. Here's how it works: The first three people to answer 4 questions correctly are the top three quizzers of the year. If you jump and answer a question incorrectly, you have to sit still (not jump) for the next question. Zach just about gave Rob a heart attack by waiting until the last minute to quiz out (I guess I've gotten used to the intensity!) but he ended up being the third person to answer the four questions correctly.
After the awards are given, the coaches quiz against each other, mostly to show how much we don't know in comparison to what our teams know. We end up looking pretty foolish with interesting answers but it's all in fun.
With all of that said, the best part of these meets for me is the relationships that have been formed over the years and getting to see everyone again. It's definitely a competition but there is plenty of camaraderie, sportsmanship and really sweet friendships.









































































(PS I'm probably the only one that cares but I think it stinks that I spend so much time spacing out my writing and my pictures and then Blogger completely ignores it and crams everything together anyway!!  Maybe it's time to switch to Word Press. . . )

1 comment:

Sonica said...

What an exciting experience!/Hilarious! Delightful! True!/wonderful stuff! thank you!

Preemie Baby Clothes for Tiny Treasures