Saturday, January 9, 2010

Facing The Giants. . .

Today was the real test for me to see if I've truly overcome my fear of horses. It's one thing to be able to saddle a pony, another to ride an average sized horse, but it's another thing altogether to meet and even ride a huge draft horse!


This is Lisa and Max. Max is the tallest horse in the state and just a few inches shy of the tallest horse EVER:


Lisa invited us to help her with the horses and we were a little surprised at their size even though she had forewarned us that they were big! I'd say big is an understatement!


The girls helped groom and feed the horses and then they took turns riding them. This is Megan on Rocky:


Gloria on Rocky:



Before putting Rocky away, Lisa asked the girls if they could give him a little haircut. She said his mo hawk looked funny and she needed someone to give him a trim. Of course the girls were happy to oblige. . .


The girls were pretty happy about EVERYTHING. . .



After we put Rocky back in his stall, Max got to take a turn with the girls. . .



He is younger and bigger. And, Lisa warned us, a little unpredictable. . .








Gloria and Megan insisted I take a turn and that's about the time I decided it was time to see if I had officially conquered my fear. Nope, I hadn't. But it was fun while it lasted.



Lisa asked the girls if they would like to ride Max bare back on the way back to his stall and, while they were a little uncertain at first, they courageously did it anyway!



Before we left, Lisa introduced us to Buster the donkey. It was a fun ending to a fun afternoon!


We really did have an amazing time with these horses once we got over our initial surprise at their size! Lisa said we could come back anytime and Gloria has already asked me several times this evening when we can go back. I'm pretty sure it will be sooner rather than later.



Because I have no self-control at all, I put some of the 90 pictures that I took in a slide show. It's not quite the same as being there in person but it's pretty close. . .

No comments: