Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Business. . .

Against my better judgement but in the spirit of posting one picture each day, this is the one and only picture I took on Tuesday. (It's not like I'm up for any blogging awards or anything. . . )

The picture does, however, lend itself well to a short update on the business. I took the picture of the box only to have proof of the damage just in case the processors inside also had dents and tape. They didn't. As far as we can tell they are in good working order. Of course, concerts are few and far between these days so it may be awhile before we actually get to use one of these in a rack!


Even though this is the down time of our business, things are good. We have enough to do to keep food on the table and it gives us a chance to re-organize after the busy summer season. We were able to completely move out of the newer building we were in before the end of the year when our lease was up, avoiding a new 4-year lease on a building that didn't really meet our needs. We moved everything related to the audio part of our business into the older building and have even (mostly) found a place for everything and are ready to conduct business there. Rob finished his shop at home and has moved the entire case company into our backyard. He spends an inordinate amount of time in there and has been able to accomplish something that should have taken much, much longer. I'm adjusting to the changes and have been working more at home myself. I actually prefer working at the office because it helps me separate work from school and family but I enjoy saving money on gas even more.


In the meantime, our summer calendar is filling up and chances are good that it will be our busiest summer yet. I feel really good about the direction the business is going and we are making some much needed changes in the way we operate. We've always been so busy just trying to stay one step ahead of disaster that we've never taken the time to get organized as a real, bonafide business. Two businesses, actually, and I have the color-coded, alphabetical, triplicated file boxes to prove it.

No comments: