Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Ride

Tuesday was the perfect day to take out our new toys.

Rob heard about a place in Emmett that has plenty of open trails so we went to check it out. . .

It was pretty cool and it gave us a chance to really get comfortable on our 4-wheelers. . .

Although I'm pretty comfortable on an ATV, I've never owned one of my own and I've never been particularly brave on one. . .

I would much rather drive fast on a smooth dirt road than bounce along on rutted trails and climb steep hills . . .

In fact, as soon as we pulled up to the riding park, I told Rob I wouldn't be climbing any of the hills . . .

At first, I was pretty cautious. I'm used to riding utility type ATVs and the feel of our sport bikes it quite different. . .

Once I got comfortable with the gears and the brakes I started to relax and have fun. . . I even climbed this hill and it was my idea!! I almost panicked when I got close to the top and my back tires started to spin but I kept going and made it safely to the top:

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy my bike was to handle and maneuver. . .


Even on weather-rutted trails, I managed to stay upright and felt (mostly) in control. . .

I had a lot of deep thoughts while riding as I considered the truth behind the phrase, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". . .



I'm beginning to find that getting older isn't as bad as I thought it might be. The pros might even outweigh the cons. . .

I did start to feel my age a little bit when my shoulder started to ache after just a couple of hours of riding! I'm looking forward to the next ride knowing that I'm less fearful than I thought I would be!!

No comments: