Friday, April 10, 2009

Reunited. . .

Horse lessons started up again on Thursday afternoon. It was kind of nice having a few weeks off but it was really nice seeing Cookie again. . .


Lessons will be a bit different this time around. There are only 4 in each class instead of 12 and will last just over an hour instead of two. Riding will be the focus but they will continue to learn how to take care of the horses and will be doing most of the care independently. Gloria was very happy when she was assigned to Lacey for the next two months. As much as she liked Buttons, that poor pony was getting up there in years and trotting just wasn't her thing.

Gloria felt comfortable on Lacey right away and Kim was very complimentary about Gloria's ability to handle the pony.


I think this smaller class size will be nice. All of the girls know each other now and they are good riders who take riding pretty seriously.


About halfway through the class Kim asked if I would help her daughter with the horses in the corral next to the riding arena. The horses were chewing on the ATV that pulled the trailer that her daughter was using to muck out the corral and my job was to keep an eye on the horses, especially "the baby" that was more like a big puppy than a horse. I ended up getting a brush and brushing some of his winter hair off while I was in there. I was only spooked a couple of times around the big horses but decided I'd better just get used to them and not let them know they used to scare the heck out of me!!!


It was good to be back. . .

No comments: