Sunday, April 26, 2009

My New Favorite Band. . .

Saturday was one of those days that surprised me. We had booked this event about a month ago but I didn't know too much about it. I knew there would be two or three bands playing but I didn't know anything more than that. Sometimes, I think, it's almost better not to know.


This event really started for us on Thursday when we flew our line array in The Brandt Center at NNU. All we had to do was provide speakers, amps and trussing. They used this system for three days and gave us very positive feedback. The main show for them was on Saturday night during our hectic set-up for the two bands in the NNU gym. I ran (literally) across campus in order to take a couple of shots of the auditorium. You can't see or hear our lovely speakers in these pictures but they were there and they sounded beautiful.




I got back to the gym in time for the sound check for both of the bands and to hear these guys play for the first time:

I often research bands on the Internet beforehand to find out a little more about them but since I didn't know the name of the band until they arrived, I didn't have that opportunity until later. This is when it's probably a good thing since I might have been a little more nervous had I known who they were. Not that they are BIG STARS or anything and they were extremely down to earth and friendly but they've had their share of big tours and awards and have played on much bigger systems than ours.

The 4 brother band is from Portland, OR but originally came from The Ukraine with their family when they were kids. I found some very interesting articles on them here and here and especially here. Their website is http://www.sonsofday.com/


They were just a regular bunch of guys with a good message and lots of talent. . .


It was a little disappointing that the crowd was smaller than expected but they played like it was a packed house. . .


It was also disappointing that they only played for an hour!!

It was a good hour. . .







So, even though it was a stressful afternoon and we set up sound, lights and truss for 8 hours for a two hour concert only to take it all down right afterwards, it was still worth it. . .
Here is another one of their videos from YouTube. It's short and REALLY worth listening to:


No comments: