Friday, February 27, 2009

Lessons. . .


The weather on Thursday at horse-back riding lessons really caught me by surprise. We had been experiencing spring-like weather for a few days and I had begun to hope that the long winter was over . . . No such luck. It was bitterly cold with a freezing wind that added insult to injury. Every once in awhile a few snowflakes would bluster by just to drive the point home that winter wasn't leaving anytime soon. So, I steeled myself against it, pulled up the hood of my coat and got to work getting little Cookie ready for a rider. She was rebelling against the cold, too. Even while she was still in her pen, she was stamping her feet and looking out of sorts. I led her into the barn to brush her and she didn't see anything good about that, either! Even with her chomping and stomping I managed to brush her, saddle her up and even put on her bridle without any help.

The only part I'm unable to do (yet) is to attach this little apparatus around her tail (!):

I spent the next hour and a half trying to stay upright in the arena as the wind threatened to blow us all over.















We survived the day, and, when all was said and done, I was happy to be there. I have to say, as strange as it sounds, facing down this fear of horses has been one of my greatest accomplishments. Granted, these are only ponies that are pretty gentle most of the time, but, considering that on the first day of lessons I couldn't walk behind a horse to save my life, I'm a little proud of how far I've come. Oh yeah, Gloria is doing great, too!! I forget sometimes that these lessons aren't all about me!!!

No comments: