Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What Zach Does For Fun

My kids often grumble that they are hungry and there is NOTHING to eat. I usually point them in the direction of the kitchen, telling them we have plenty of food and to just fix themselves a snack. Shopping and cooking, like laundry, are never-ending chores that make me weary just thinking about them. So I'm not sure if Zach was trying to prove a point or if he was just amusing himself when he "catalogued" all of the food we have in the fridge and pantry yesterday. I came home to a perfectly organized pantry with a posted, categorized list taped to the pantry door. He also took it upon himself to point out all of the inedible foods inside including a can of stewed tomatoes and a box of Malt-O-Meal. . .

My pantry has never looked better!!

Zach has also been spending much of his free time lately creating a board game. It is based loosely on the old "Rock, Paper, Scissors" battles and comes complete with an instruction manual that gives a little history of three old people groups: The Rocks, The Paper Nomads and the Castle of Scissoria. There is plenty of strategy and unpredictable twists and turns including Sudden Death in the middle ring. It's reminiscent of several of his favorite games but unique enough that it doesn't feel like any of the others. We played for about 5 hours the other night before we finally called a draw.

This is the corner with the highest frequency of scissor cards, hence the scissor factory!!



I don't know how to say this without sounding like I'm bragging, but it's my blog and bragging is not my intention so I'm going to say it anyway!! I'm really enjoying watching Zach grow into a young adult. He is a huge help to me and I find myself relying on him more and more. He rarely complains (except about stewed tomatoes!) and he is always willing to lend a hand when I need him. He has taken most of the responsibility for his schoolwork on himself and makes a list every Monday of what needs to be done each day in each of his subjects. He even still tells me he loves me and often hugs me when I walk by. He's just a really good kid and I'm thankful he's mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that this whole food inventory thing disturbs me for several reasons.

1. I am going to be staying at your house for the next few days with the puppies.
2. Am I supposed to cross off anything that I may decide to consume from the pantry or fridge?
3. Will I be judged on the quantity or lack of quantity of food intake while staying at your house?
4. Will Zach's opinion of me change if I get a sudden craving for stewed tomatoes and malt o meal?
5. I am already devising plans for any replacement items.

Have a great trip! I will see you soon.