Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 13, 2007

Well, the boat show ended on Sunday and with Gloria being sick I was unable to document, or be a part of, taking it all down. Breaks my heart!! However, we quickly moved on to the next show which happens to be in the same place. Once again, Rob and Dale burned the midnight oil getting everything ready for an early Tuesday set-up. I woke up with a touch of whatever it is that Gloria has and had to miss all the fun. (It's interesting that I would choose being sick any day over lifting lights onto truss onto lift stands etc. etc.) The thing I do enjoy about this job is the numbers side of it. I enjoy spread sheets and color-coded files and doing the books. With Dale taking on such a huge chunk of the physical side of this business, I have been able to focus on the paperwork that has been ignored and pushed aside for way too long! When the kids and I finally got around and went into the shop, it turned out to be a pretty productive day. I am almost completely caught up not only on my day to day stuff, but on all of my year end stuff as well!! Here is a photo of my monthly/reciepts file, color coded by year: 2007 is hot pink!!

I am very meticulous about my files- too meticulous probably- and I'm sure I do more work than is really necessary to keep them how I like them. There is a commercial out now advertising Quick Books that shows a woman who makes spreadsheets for her spreadsheets for her spreadsheets. Thats me. We have Quick Books and I really am planning to use it this year, but I'm weirdly attached to my filing system and my Excel files. . .

Gloria still isn't feeling well, but we were able to get most of her school work done today at the shop. We actually get more school work done at the shop because we're not rushing through it the way we do at home so we can get to the shop- we can take our time and Gloria can have as many "breaks" as she likes!!


Zach would much rather do his school work sitting/laying on the couch than at a desk or table. It makes sense when the subject is reading, but he prefers to be comfortable and does most of his school work sitting on the couch or laying on the floor.


We took a break in the middle of the day to see how the set-up for the horse show was going.


Dale and Marc are up on the "scissor" Genie "flying" lights and speakers.




I have been reassured by both Rob and Dale (and the manufacturer) that this is safety rated to hold 5000 lbs, but it still bothers me that these two purple span sets (they look like huge head bands!) can hold up this truss loaded with lights and speakers!!! It makes me nervous.


We wrapped up the day with another soccer game. Rob and Dale have had very little sleep and they have worked hard all day but they still need to have a little fun. I'd like to say we won, but I can't.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you that flying speakers was not far behind. Now Rob needs bigger ones.
Love ya!