Friday, November 21, 2008

Pond Scum

I did not do well at all in Biology in high school. I managed to pull off a C but, no matter how hard I tried, I just didn't get it. Fortunately, Zach loves science and has always been great about tackling the science books I provide him with each year and, in the process, I usually end up learning more from him than he learns from me. We have a great textbook this year: Exploring Creation with Biology:

Zach has several experiments coming up that require cultivating bacterial colonies so we took a little field trip to a nearby pond . . .

"Each bacterium in the colony could survive on its own if separated from the rest of the colony. Despite this fact, however, some colonies do possess strikingly collective behavior. Some colonies, for example, will secrete a capsule-like substance that surrounds and protects the entire colony. This substance gives the bacterial colony a slimy feel and holds the colony together." (p. 51) Ewww. . . I'm so glad I'm not a bacteria. . .
The experiment requires 4 dark jars with lids, each with a different type of nutrient, that we (Zach) will fill halfway with pond water. Each jar contains 1 type of nutrient: 1. hay 2. rich soil 3. egg yolk and 4. white rice.

Zach made himself a long handled ladle so he could get as close to the bottom of the pond as possible. Apparently that's where the best staphylobacillus' live. . . (???):
Zach scooped up the diplococcus', tetracoccus' and diplobacillus' and put them in the jar. . .

Eww. . .

After filling and closing up the jars, his next assignment was to sketch as many things in his surroundings as possible. The book encouraged him to lift up rocks and draw whatever might be living under them. . .

I don't think this was a difficult assignment for him. . .

So. . . I now have 4 jars of pond scum sitting in my family room cultivating colonies of bacterium. . . . I really hope no one bumps into them. . .

No comments: