Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Independence Day

Today at horseback riding lessons, the kids got their first taste of totally independent riding. They had a chance to put into practice everything they have been learning - they each had to adjust their own stirrups while holding onto the horse's reins and then lead the horse to the mounting block in order to mount up without any help at all. Grandma and Grandpa had a chance to see how much Gloria has been learning!:
Gloria's group did really well as they all concentrated on sitting up straight without leaning back, holding the reins loosely but not too loosely and "talking" to the horse with all four of their communicating tools: legs, seat, hands and voice.
The instructor called out commands to follow and the kids and the horses obeyed like they'd been working together for years. . .
This is a short video of an exercise the kids do every week called "around-the-world":

After a successful ride, Gloria's group left the arena to muck out the stalls and corrals. The sky looked amazing:






I worked with Cookie again today and find myself really enjoying our time together. I can walk all the way around her without feeling nervous at all. OK, maybe I'm a little nervous around her backside but she's very gentle and sweet and I think she may even like me. . .

I know Gloria is loving her lessons but I think I'm getting just as much, if not more, out of the experience. Two for the price of one is a pretty good deal!!

No comments: