Friday, January 10, 2014

Zach. Again.

I took Zach to the airport today. He made it back to school just fine and I think he's ready to dive into a new semester. He made the Dean's List again and is entering his 6th semester of college with an overall 4.0 GPA. I'm not at all surprised by this. He's always loved learning. He's a sponge who can't seem to get enough knowledge. It's the reason we chose to homeschool in the second grade and the reason he's doing so well in college. I love that kid and I already miss him terribly. He brings balance to our family and, now that he's an adult, we have an interesting friendship that I've come to rely on. He's wise and funny and introspective and good. I'm thankful that he's my kid. And I'm thankful that he's at George Fox even though it's far, far away.

I saved this picture off of his FB page. Someone took it of all the boys in Zach's house and tagged him in it. I'm pretty sure it was taken last fall but I just found it recently. Looks like a fine group of boys to me!


Side note... When I took Zach to the airport, we had an interesting conversation. I do seek his advice on things and he's intuitive enough and educated in communication and business enough that I take his advice pretty seriously. We had a good conversation all the way to the airport and, as I parked my truck and  turned off the key, I said something about his childhood and the hopes that I hadn't screwed it up. He said that, if anything, I had made his childhood TOO good. I wish I could remember his exact words but he said something like this: "when your childhood is too good, it makes you want to go back to that instead of growing up." I'm glad he has been able to remember the good things...

No comments: