Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What Do I Have To Be Unhappy About?

So... A few weeks ago I went scrolling through Netflix and settled on a film that I don't remember the name of but the theme has stuck with me pretty much every day since then. One line especially stands out. I won't quote it exactly since this is a family friendly place but the jist of it is, "What the #%*k do you have to be unhappy about"? 

The movie was about a woman who had a good job, a reasonably happy marriage, a nice home, and what appeared to be a pretty nice life. When she was in high school, she had a steady boyfriend from her home town. When she moved away to college, they never actually broke up in words but she moved on with her life and eventually got married. 

Somehow the open-ended ness of the demise of the high school flame nagged at her and, in her mind, led her to believe that maybe she had missed out on something important. 

To make a long story short, she went to her home town on an impulse to maybe reignite the flame. In the process she came face to face with the bad luck / bad choices / wrong turns of the people she had left behind there. Her depressed, alcoholic brother who still lived at home with their parents, watched her pretty much in disbelief as she pondered leaving all that was good in her life for something that might have been. At the end of the movie, in an alcoholic rage, he yelled at her over
 and over, "what the %^*k do you have to be unhappy about" what the %^*k do you have to be unhappy about" what the %^*k do you have to be unhappy about"?

This story in no way reflects my life but I have pondered his words when I look around and think my life is hard. I'm not making light of depression here by any means. It's real and it hurts. But I have plenty of things to be happy about and just need to remind myself of those things on a regular basis. I imagine this will be my theme here for awhile. 

Which leads me to my "happy" for today. This sweet little Lulu came into our lives just when I needed her. I can't forget that she belongs to Gloria but I'll be the nanny as long as she'll let me!










No comments: