Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fun Time Is Almost Over. . .

I'll admit, the last couple of weeks hasn't been ALL fun time but considering we are in the middle of our busy season and we weren't especially busy, there were more opportunities to do summer-fun kinds of things than we usually do this time of year.  Plus, I had a couple of really good conversations with old friends that spurred me on to keep-on-keeping-on so there's that. 

When I was a kid, living in Mtn. Home, my friends and I practically lived at the pool.  My friend, Shawna, was on swim team and lived fairly close to the city pool so I would ride my dirt bike to her house and we would head over to the pool and stay as long as it was open.  I can't think of my childhood without thinking of the hours and hours we spent at the pool. 

Now that I'm all grown up, swimming pools have somehow become a thing of the past.  Which is weird because for the last 17 years, we've lived within walking distance of the city pool but have NEVER gone there.  We've thought about it, considered it, wondered about it, but have never done more than look through the chain link fence when we've been at the park. 

Until yesterday.

It's been hot.  Like a hundred-degrees-hot.  I have found myself wishing for a pool much more than I usually do in the summer.  We were lucky enough to spend an afternoon out in Columbia Village on Friday for a youth group party with Joyce. . .
. . . and that was just enough of a taste of my childhood memories that Gloria and I made our way to the city pool on Saturday.  I was afraid it would be crowded and maybe a little not-so-clean but it was actually really nice.  We swam and laughed and laid down on the warm cement on our beach towels and enjoyed a hot afternoon!  I've never been a big fan of diving boards so I watched as Gloria took enough turns for both of us. . .

And to top off the day, we went to the races for the evening! We only go once every few years even though the Speedway is practically in our backyard and I usually remember why we don't go too often once we get there.  It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. . .



And now, it's time to get back to work.  Fun time is over.  The rest of the summer and right into fall will be business as usual . . . I'm bracing myself for this:

No comments: