Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Girl's Night Out. . .

People tell me all the time that Gloria looks just like me. Some days I think that the similarity ends there.

She's always pretty much been a "girly-girl" while I considered myself a tom-boy when I was growing up. Even as a toddler, Gloria preferred dresses. Well, she preferred nudity but dresses were her second choice. Fortunately, she outgrew that phase and discovered a modicum of modesty but still enjoyed "fancy" clothes. Me, I'll take jeans and a t-shirt any day of the week.

Gloria has been "styling" her own hair since she was about 4 years old. She could pop in a pony tail quickly and easily before she was 6. Now that school has started, she wears a different style every day. I'm just thankful that she can do it herself. Me, if I have time, I'll curl my hair. If I'm out of time or feeling lazy, I"ll blow dry it and call it good.

All that to say, Gloria is good for me. Over the years she has given me make overs, fashion tips and new hair styles. When we go clothes shopping, she makes me try on things I would never try on myself. Like skinny jeans. And then she wants me to model for her in the dressing room!

Gloria has been begging to have her hair colored for YEARS. I've always told her that she has beautiful, natural highlights that many women pay money to get. I've always said no. Me, I took pride in the fact that my hair didn't see a bit of color until I was in my 40's. Seriously, I bragged about it. But grey just isn't my color.

I finally broke down and made us both appointments on the same day. Mechelle, who has been doing my hair since Gloria was a baby, told me that it would be fine and she would highlight it very subtlety.

Gloria was thrilled. . .


Before she got in the chair, Gloria asked me to take a before picture. . .


After hours and hours (she got quite bored. . . ), this is the after picture:


My phone didn't really do it justice because neither one of us are quite this light but, here we are, like mother, like daughter. . .


We had a little celebration at Panda afterwards. . .


I have to say, this is the best kind of girl's night out. . .

No comments: