Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 3 Mule Days

Moving the stage and canopy turned out to be much easier than we imagined it would be. We had a huge crew of guys willing and able to help. I missed the first part of the move since I had to drive the motor home with the kids and the dogs out, so I was surprised at how much progress they had made by the time I got there. Rob figures this canopy, when fully assembled like this, weighs upwards of 1000 pounds. This crew moved it like it was nothin'!

When the kids and I arrived, the stage had been moved, the canopy was on the ground nearby and the lift stands were being situated in the necessary location in order to secure the canopy firmly in place. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it!



Once the canopy was in an approximate position, Kurt and Rob went around and adjusted the lift stands before locking everything into place.


I wouldn't want to have this happen again, but it made for a very interesting morning!!

After everything was safely secured, the guys got back to work installing the stage decks.

I knew they could accomplish all of this before the 3:00 sound check on Friday, but at this point I was getting a little nervous. We still had lights and sound to hook up plus Nampa Nights to attend to and the event started the next day. I finally convinced Rob to call in a replacement for Nampa Nights and it turned out to be a really good thing we did!



It was a very long day with all three of us working together- Rob would drill, I would put rivets in place and Kurt would rivet them in. We put the last rivet in at about 12:30 a.m., decided the existing coat of primer would have to suffice for this event and called it a night. . .

No comments: