Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve . . .

We traditionally spend Christmas eve with my side of the family at my parent's house. . .

It's very low key and comfortable. . .

I had a hard time finding my Christmas spirit this year so it really wasn't until we walked in the door of my parent's house that I began to feel that old familiar anticipation that only Christmas can stir. . .

It isn't about the gifts or the tree or flashy holiday lights. . .

It shouldn't be about how much stuff we get or how far in debt we can go. . .

But sometimes it feels like that's what it's all about. . . 

Right up until I walked into my parent's house, I found myself humming along with Cindy Loo Who, "Where are you Christmas, why can't I find you. . . "

But as we sat around and laughed and played games, my Christmas spirit kicked in and I sat back and enjoyed myself!!

I've been blessed with a family that's easy to be with.  My sister is my best friend and Dave has always fit perfectly into our lives. . .

My nephews are both good kids that are fun to be around. . .

Ethan was a good sport during the White Elephant gift exchange. . .

He kept his eye on the biggest package and was thrilled when he finally got to open it. . .

Except he wasn't so thrilled when the prize turned out to be an oversized, yellow, stuffed bunny!!!

Spencer seemed to be fine with it though. . .

It gave us all a good laugh, anyway!!

The gift exchange is simple and meaningful. . .







It's so nice to have my parent's living nearby.  I realize that I'm very fortunate to have such a good relationship with them both. . .

My mom made me an album of family pictures from 2011.  I rarely print out pictures for myself since I put them all up here on the blog so it was very special to have photos in front of me without having to click or scroll!!

We topped off the evening with a card game.  I honestly never get tired of playing cards.  We played a lot of games growing up and I'm pretty sure that helped keep me out of trouble as well as giving me a closer relationship with my mom and dad that I wouldn't trade for anything. . .

By the time we got home, I felt much better about the meaning of Christmas. . .

My gifts were wrapped, my house was clean and festive and I was very much looking forward to spending more time with family on Christmas Day. . .

No comments: