Thursday, February 17, 2011

Memorabilia #5: Regrets??

So, yeah, I'm finding all kinds of interesting things.

I found the file with all of the information on the house we bought 16 years ago when it was still just a farmer's field. Yep, the one we still live in. The address on our check was on Lyle St. which is where we lived with Rob's mom and dad while we were waiting to grow up. I mean waiting for our house to be built.

I found a check stub from Rob's days of working for Ernst Home Center when I was pregnant with Zach. He made as much in a year as we make in a - never mind- that would be TMI. At least we had insurance back then. Good thing because Zach's stay in NICU was over 1K/day. I'll bet it's more than 10x that amount now.

I found the Daycare license I qualified for back when I owned "Tanya's Tots". It included the paperwork for my house inspection in which I was penalized for having crumbs under the toaster. I still passed. In the same file I found the dismissal letter I wrote to one of the families when I finally had enough of their poor behavior (the parents, not the kids). That and the fact that their two year old, who was otherwise very sweet, loved to drop the F-Bomb.

AND I found a whole file with information from my 7 semesters at BSU. It's funny that Zach and I are working on his admission paperwork and I found my BSU acceptance letter dated 11/15/1988. I went to NNC right after high school in 1985/86 and then realized I didn't have a clue what I was doing and, after one of the most spiritually painful summers of my life, I dropped out. Of everything. But that's a story for another day. Or not. I managed to get myself together and back into school at BSU beginning with the Spring Semester of 1989. It's amazing how much of a difference two years can make. I studied hard and enjoyed school once I actually applied myself. The letter I posted below (that I don't remember AT ALL) is dated January 28, 1992. I must have dropped right around the same time this was written:

This would have been my final semester; all I had to do was student teach and take 2 classes in educational and child Psychology to earn my degree in early childhood education. I was pregnant with Zach (married, of course) and working 40 hours per week at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant. I was sick and tired. Sure, I regret it, but I went on to teach my own kids at home for eleven years so I think that covers the student teaching and I don't think I would have enjoyed being a public school teacher anyway, so I don't really regret my decision too much. I have a pretty fulfilling life in spite of not having a college diploma on the wall. Although if I could take it back. . . who knows. . .


Wow. That was more than I'm used to sharing. . .

No comments: