Sunday, February 7, 2010

Me, A Drunk Driver??

Obviously not, but I was a suspect for about 20 minutes!!

About an hour ago, I dropped Steph off at her house after watching the Superbowl together at my in-law's. As I was innocently driving home down Ustick Road, I crossed Five Mile and noticed a white car with only one headlight following right on my tail. I thought about pulling over to let him pass me but there really wasn't a safe place to do that. I was going the speed limit so I just tried to ignore him.

When I turned onto Eagle Road, he stayed right behind me. I changed lanes to let him pass and slowed to about 40 mph (55 mph speed limit) but he changed lanes right behind me! I changed lanes again just as I got to Fairview to make a right turn and, sure enough, he stayed right on my tail. I stayed in the right lane up to Locust Grove and then (legally) crossed over into the turn lane to make a left turn. The white car was still on my tail.

I wasn't overly worried since I had a cell phone with me and I could get help at any time so I decided to try a few things to see if he would follow. I sped up and changed lanes a couple more times and the one-headlight car just wouldn't go away. As I turned onto Franklin, I saw a police car going in the other direction and when I looked in my rearview mirror to check on my stalker, I saw another police car right on my tail!

I turned into the nearest parking lot hoping he would follow me, thinking it was suspicious and, sure enough, not one but TWO officers turned on their lights and pulled in behind me! (I decided that would be a good time to wake up Gloria who had so far slept through the whole thing.)

The officer approached my truck very slowly and very carefully and I quickly began to explain that I was glad to see him since I was being followed. He easily believed my story because the guy in the white car had reported me as a DRUNK DRIVER!!!! He had been following me so he could keep the police informed as to my location!!!!


The officer said I was "obviously not intoxicated" but he needed to see my information anyway. He came back pretty quickly and told me that everything was fine and my record was clean (good to know) and wished me a good evening.


So I'm left wondering if the one-headlight driver was really a concerned citizen worried about the welfare of the community or if he was just working out his road rage at a "slow" driver??? I guess I'll never know. . .

1 comment:

Tami Arnett said...

Oh man, that sucks! I cut off a guy one time and he followed me ALL over town. I called my sister, who was out driving around at the same time, and showed her that this guy was following me! I finally pulled over (once my sister confirmed that I was being followed), and it turns out the guy was an off-duty cop and not impressed with my cut-off, and flipping him off when he honked at me! He followed me from Eagle and Fairview, down to Chinden, up by my moms, around her neighborhood, and around some more. He called the cops on ME for that, but dropped the charges (perhaps cause I was bawling and pregnant - with Madison), but still! It totally freaked me out that he followed me that long!