Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Trip Down Memory Lane

During a recent visit from Elsie, the girls inadvertently took me on a trip down memory lane: Gloria asked if she could show Elsie my old paper dolls. I have very few things from my childhood but my paper dolls were like gold to me and I have kept them safely in a box in the attic. I let Gloria go through them a few years ago but I tucked them safely away again leaving her with some unsatisfied curiosity. I somewhat reluctantly climbed into the attic thinking they'd be buried so deep in the clutter up there that the girls would be disappointed at my not finding them. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted them in a corner under my old Monopoly game- proof positive that my obsession started in childhood:

It was fun watching the girls sort through my precious memories and I realized that I was probably about their age when I would spread each and every paper doll out on the hardwood floor in my bedroom and spin elaborate tales of Queens and Servants and Good Guys and Bad Girls.


This is Francie. She was (obviously) my favorite. She was angelic and kind no matter how mean some of the other girls could be. She always made good choices and, of course, she always got the best lookin' man in the end. I didn't care one bit when her legs and arms fell off, I loved her unconditionally:

I had a pretty happy childhood and I'm glad I could share a little chunk of it with Gloria and Elsie.

No comments: